We’re currently stuck in the dog days of summer, so why not snack on some sweet and savory halva to cool you down? This super-simple dessert recipe is a favorite throughout the Iran and parts of the Middle East and Mediterranean – and it may just be on of your favorites, too!
– 1 tablespoon chopped or crushed almond
– 1 tablespoon chopped or crushed pistachio
– ½ teaspoon saffron
– – ½ cup rosewater
– 7/8 cup sugar
– 7/8 cup cooking oil
– 1 cup wheat flour
1. Put oil into a frying pan, allow to sizzle under medium heat
2. Mix in flour and reduce heat.
3. Stir until the flour and oil takes on a thick consistency and becomes golden in color. If mixed properly, it will also become aromatic
4. Mix sugar into a small pot of water. Let boil.
5. Mix saffron and rosewater into the sugar-water mixture, stirring regularly.
6. Allow the flour and oil to cool, the mix in the other mixture.
7. If the mixture is not thick enough (about the consistency of dough), then heat for 2 more minutes.
8. Allow to cool, and garnish with pistachio and almonds.
9. For a cool summer treat, allow to sit in the refrigerator for an hour before serving. Enjoy!
For more delicious Iranian recipes, check out the following sites:
Iran Chamber Society (where today’s recipe came from): http://www.iranchamber.com/recipes/dessert/halva.php
My Persian Kitchen: http://mypersiankitchen.com/persian-halvah/
Persian Recipes: http://www.persian-recipes.com/persianrecipes/2009/10/04/tar-halva/