Are you looking for something a little different to spice up your dinners? Why not try aash-e aab leemoo, a delicious Persian soup with rice, lamb, onions split peas and spices that will surely make your mouth water.
During these chilly
– 1 cup long grain rice
– 5 cups heated water
– 2 lbs. mixed herbs (equal parts mint, coriander, spring onion ends and parsley)
– 3-4 tbsp. lime juice
– 2-3 tbsp. sugar
– 3 tbsp. split peas
– 2 tbsp. marjoram (or oregano)
– 1 tsp. mint
– 3-4 tbsp. cooking oil
– 4 large onions
– 1 lb. ground lamb or beef
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and slice two onions, cook under a low heat until they are a golden brown .
2. In a large pot, mix in onions with 4-5 cups of boiling water, split peas, salt and pepper into the pot, cooking for 10 minutes on a low heat.
3. Wash rice, and mix into the cooking pot. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is soft.
4. Peel and grate/finely chop the other two onions. Mix them with the ground meat and salt and pepper, and roll into small balls. Let cook for 15-20 minutes
5. Then add lime juice, sugar, and chopped marjoram. Cook for 5-10 minutes, until the spices have dispersed throughout the soup thoroughly and the meat balls have been cooked.
6. If using fresh mint, fry the sprigs in cooking oil, and sprinkle it on top of the soup.